ORIGINAL ARTICLE

The description of corrected count increment on one hour and 24 hours after platelet apheresis transfusion in Sanglah General Hospital Denpasar

Anak Agung Ayu Lydia Prawita , Ni Kadek Mulyantari, Sianny Herawati

Anak Agung Ayu Lydia Prawita
Resident of Clinical Pathology Faculty of Medicine Udayana University/Sanglah Public Hospital. Email: gunglydia18@gmail.com

Ni Kadek Mulyantari
Department of Clinical Pathology Faculty of Medicine Udayana University/Sanglah Public Hospital

Sianny Herawati
Department of Clinical Pathology Faculty of Medicine Udayana University/Sanglah Public Hospital
Online First: August 01, 2019 | Cite this Article
Prawita, A., Mulyantari, N., Herawati, S. 2019. The description of corrected count increment on one hour and 24 hours after platelet apheresis transfusion in Sanglah General Hospital Denpasar. Bali Medical Journal 8(2). DOI:10.15562/bmj.v8i2.1391


Introduction: Evaluating the response after platelet transfusion is vital to measure the success rate of the therapy and plan the subsequent management of patients. The evaluation can be done by calculating the corrected count increment (CCI) at 1 hour and 24 hours after transfusion. The purpose of this study was to determine the therapeutic response to apheresis platelet transfusion by measuring the CCI at 1 hour and 24 hours after transfusion.

Methods: This study was a cross-sectional descriptive study of patients who received apheresis platelet transfusions. In total, 35 samples were examined for platelet counts before and after transfusion. The CCI was measured at 1 hour and 24 hours after transfusion. Descriptive statistical analysis was performed to calculate the percentage and mean count.

Result: The mean count of transfused platelets was 2.7 × 10¹¹ / unit. The mean platelet count before transfusion was 18.5 × 10³ / μL. The mean platelet increment at 1 hour was 25.4 10³ / μL and 24 hours was 22.6 × 10³ / μL. The mean CCI ± SD at 1 hour and 24 hours was 15,036.63 ± 13,709.73 and 13,625.60 ± 13,580 respectively. A total of 63% of samples reached the target CCI at the 1-hour measurement, while the remaining 37% did not. Meanwhile, 60% of the samples reached the CCI target at the 24-hour measurement, while 40% did not.

Conclusion: The response to apheresis platelet transfusion by measuring the CCI reached the target in 63% of patients at 1 hour after transfusion and 60% of patients at 24 hours after transfusion.

References

Shastry S, Chaudhary R. Clinical factor influencing corrected Increment. Transfusion and Apheresis Science. 2012;47(3):327-330.

Triyono T, Dan Vrielink H. Therapeutic Apheresis in Asia: An Indonesia Single Center Experience. J Clin Apher. 2015;30(3):139-40

Republik Indonesia. Peraturan Menteri Kesehatan Republik Indonesia Nomor 91 tahun 2015 tentang Standar Pelayanan Transfusi Darah; 2015.

Nester T, Aubuchon JP. Hemotherapy Decisions and Their Outcomes. Technical Manual 17th AABB. United States: American Association of Blood Bank; 2011.

Slichter SJ, Davis K, Enright H, Braine H, Gernsheimer T, Kuo-Jang et al. Factors affecting posttransfusion platelet increments, platelet refractoriness, and platelet transfusion interval in thrombocytopenic patients. Blood. 2005; 105(10):4106-4114.

Holbro A, Infanti L, Sigle J, Buser A. Platelet transfusion: basic aspects. Swiss Medical Weekly. 2013;143:w13885.

Jaime-Perez JC, Vasquez-Hernandez KE, Jimenez-Castillo RA et al. Platelet Survival in hematology Patients Assessed by the Corrected Count Increment and Other Formula. Am J Clin Pathol. 2018;150(3):267-272.

National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Australian Society of Blood Transfusion (ASBT). Clinical Practice Guidelines on the Use of Blood Components (red blood cells, platelets,fresh frozen plasma and cryoprecipitate). Australia; 2001.

Estcourt LJ, Birchall J, Allard S, Bassey SJ, Hersey P, Kerr JP et al. Guidelines for the use of platelet transfusion. Br J Haematol. 2017;176(3):365-394

Geetha C, Pavani M, Korti P, Jayashankar E, Deshpande AK. Factors affecting platelet yield in single donor plateletpheresis: A single institution experience. Indian Journal of Pathology and Oncology. 2017;4(1):23-26.

Dijkstra-Tiekstra MJ, Rondeel JMM, Slomp J, Smid WM, de Wildt-eggen J. A positive effect of immune supression on corrected count increment after platelet transfusion at 1 but not 24h. Transfus Apher Sci. 2013;49(2):189-92


No Supplementary Material available for this article.
Article Views      : 0
PDF Downloads : 0